Email marketing is the act of sending promotional messages to people in mass quantities. It typically is to generate sales or leads and it may contain advertising. If you’ve been ignoring email marketing, it’s time to reevaluate your digital marketing strategy.
Email marketing delivers huge returns for businesses that do it right, it’s cost-effective and doesn’t have to be too complicated.
Effective email marketing converts prospects into customers, and turns one-time buyers into repeat customers and raving fans. Email marketing is one of the best ways to stay in touch with current customers and stay top-of-mind with potential customers that may need your products or services in the future.
View email marketing pricing and packages in Kenya
We strongly believe that before you email anyone, you need have their permission. Email campaigns depend on a healthy open rate, and if you’re contacting people whose information you bought – rather than earned from a previous interaction – you’ll quickly see your emails’ performance drop.
Some interesting stats about email marketing. Did you know?
- Email is the #1 communication channel and at least 99% of consumers or your recipients check their email on a daily basis? That can’t be said of any other communication channel. Email marketing is a numbers game, and those are some great numbers! It may be one of the oldest forms of digital communication, but email still reigns supreme when it comes to usage.
- Every internet user has at least one email account. A recent research conducted by Radicati found out that there 3.8 billion active email accounts. That’s half the population of Earth.
- Email just converts better. People who buy products marketed through email spend 138% more than those who do not receive email offers. In fact, email marketing has an ROI (returns on investment) of 4400%. That’s huge! And if you are wondering if social media converts even better, think again: the average order value of an email is at least three times higher than that of social media
- More than 319.6 billion emails are sent daily. On average, for every $1 you spend on email marketing, you can expect a return of $42.
How do you get started with email marketing?
Below are 3 key steps to get you started with email marketing:
- To successfully plan, create and launch your email marketing campaigns, you need an active email list. An email list is a database of email contacts who have expressed interest in receiving marketing communications from your brand or business. It contains a list of names and email addresses of people who gave you permission to send them updates and promotions from your business. You can optionally create your database from your newsletter subscribers, online inquiries, CRM entries and digitizing your company’s physical business cards.
- Select an email marketing provider– An email service provider (ESP) lets you segment your audience, organize your list, and distribute email campaigns to your audience. You can also track the results to improve future campaigns. The most common ESP’s are MailChimp, Send in Blue as well as inbuilt mail systems in HubSpot, Bitrix24 and Salesforce CRM.
- Create an email marketing strategy and define your objectives – You can use email marketing to achieve many business goals and brand objectives. To execute an effective email marketing campaign, your email list, ESP, and goals must align.
You can use email marketing to:
- Generate brand awareness
- Stay top-of-mind to existing customers.
- Drive sales
- generate and nurture leads
- keep customers engaged
- increase brand and customer loyalty.
- Increase customer lifetime value with upselling and remarketing
Segmenting your email list should also be part of your strategy. This can be according to subscriber demographics or actions they took on you during a digital marketing campaign or your business website. Doing this will increase your conversion rates. Finally, you can move on to email segmentation and analytics once you’ve mastered the basics. Start sending separate types of emails to different groups of people so you can deliver more useful emails.
Why you should include email marketing to your digital strategy.
Below are some of the key reasons that email offers an incredibly powerful communication channel:
- Email is Personal
Email allows you to land into a user’s inbox. There is no ranking system limiting your reach. It is very direct and personal.
- Email is Purposeful
To get updates from you, a user fills out a form to signup for your email list and confirm their email address. Someone doing this much work is obviously interested in hearing from you, and they are much more receptive to your message.
- Email is Targeted
As we mentioned earlier, the user has already shown interest in your product or content. Since you already know what they like, you can deliver them highly relevant offers to get better results. This is called segmentation, and we will cover that later in the article.
- Email Delivers – An astounding 90% of email gets delivered to the intended recipient’s inbox, whereas only 2% of your Facebook fans see your posts in their News Feed. This is because Facebook limits the number of times your posts appear in the News Feed in an attempt to drive brands towards their paid advertising options
Email marketing is no longer about broadcasting a message. Rather, it’s about crafting an experience for your subscribers. For the many reasons listed above, email marketing is by far the most effective channel to attract, engage, and connect with an audience to drive sales and revenue for your business.